Financial and legal framework
- WG2 is aiming to provide a guideline for the application of:
- Full cost calculation model development
- Calculation of instrument usage fees.
- Institutional differences
- Existing cost models
- Maintenance, warranties etc.
- Please be aware that these financial topics are highly sensitive and that this information should remain internal.
Presentation during the Annual Community Meeting in Fulda (2013)
- Hella Hartmann, Jan Peychl, Stefanie Weidtkamp-Peters presented schemes that are used in their home institutions for the calculation of usage prices. Clear similarities as well differences were found.
Benefit of user fees
- User fees are a tool, not the goal.
- User fees may enable the shared use of research infrastructure in institutions with limited resources.
- User fees are a transparent way of showing how much scientific work and instrumentation does cost.
- User fees help sharing of research infrastructure between users and institutions.
- User fees might enable collaborations with the industry.
- The DFG provides guidelines on user fees in core facilities.